The 2016-2017 year kicked off with a group presentation by the Admin Council: Everything you wanted to know about STC, but were afraid to ask.
The Admin Council members presented aspects of STC that benefit members that you may not know much about.
- Noel Atzmiller presented on the STC Summit and Opportunities at the STC Houston Chapter.
- Lara Tellis (presented by Kimberly A. Mankiewicz) presented Networking with STC.
- Meenakshi Venkat presented on STC Publications, Webinars, and Certification.
- Kimberly A. Mankiewicz presented on STC Houston Social Media and Personal Branding.
- Erika Frensley presented on STC Meetings; Knowledge, Peers, and Networking.
For your convenience, the links and reference information has been pulled into this post.
2017 STC Summit
The 2017 Summit will be held 7-10 May at the Gaylord National Resort in National Harbor, Maryland, just minutes from downtown Washington, DC. The theme is ‘Gain the Edge to Get Results.’
The Summit website is available here: http://summit.stc.org/conference/
The Summit kicks off Sunday evening with an opening keynote speaker and the Welcome Reception in the Expo Hall. The 2017 theme is ‘Gain the Edge to Get Results,’ which will be reflected in the overall program of events as well as individual education sessions.
The Summit is made up of two major parts:
- Expo Hall
Organized in tracks, these sessions begin Monday morning and continue until midday on Wednesday. Sessions are offered in a variety of formats, including traditional presentations, workshops, progressions, and lightning talks.
The Expo Hall
This opens on Sunday evening and features numerous companies, all prepared to unveil and demonstrate new and exciting products, services, and technology to the world of technical communication.
What is Summit Playback?
Summit Playback (formerly Summit@aClick) is an online collection of the conference’s content, with audio and PowerPoint synched together. The 2016 Summit included over 80 sessions in seven tracks (see the full program here) and Summit Playback includes almost all of them.
Everyone who is a FULL conference registrant in 2017 will be set up to receive complimentary access to Summit Playback.
If you do not attend the 2017 Summit but are an STC member, you may purchase Summit Playback. Details about this program are found here: http://summit.stc.org/summit-playback/.
Call for Proposals
The 2017 Summit has issued a call for proposals. Anyone with experience in the latest communication techniques, technologies, approaches, and solutions is invited to submit. You are not required to be an STC member to submit a proposal.
The 2017 call for proposals will close at 11:59 PM EDT (GMT-4) on Monday, 12 September.
Details about the call for proposals are found here: http://summit.stc.org/call-for-proposals/.
- Monthly meetings: Second Tuesday of the month at Red Cross. Get here at 5:30 to meet other tech comm professionals.
- Galleria lunch networking group: Last Wednesday of the month at Barry’s Pizza (6003 Richmond Ave) from 11:30 to 1:00. Email Thomas Foster (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Networking 101: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-skip-the-sleaze-and-build-a-real-professional-ne-510256651
- First impressions
- Business cards: https://www.virgin.com/entrepreneur/the-five-rules-of-the-modern-business-card
- Starting a conversation: https://www.themuse.com/advice/30-brilliant-networking-conversation-starters
LinkedIn Group: STC Houston