February is filled with events for the TCOM community.
On Tuesday, February 12, Linda Oestreich will present The Benefits and Challenges of Online Education in Houston.
And on February 16, STC Houston will have our first mini conference in Brenham, Texas, at Blinn College. If you’re interested in coming, there’s still time to register:
We’ve got a great lineup of speakers and workshops planned, including:
- Linda Oestreich presents her Editing Foundations class that she’s run at STC Summits in the past.
- Yvonne Wade Sanchez is teaching at UH Downtown and will speak about how UHD is incorporating technical communication.
- Noel Atzmiller presents Teaching Writing to Engineers
- Cindy Pao presents how to develop workflow based help, and I’m presenting the basics of DITA.
- Paul Mueller, Alyssa Fox, and Alan Porter are joining together to present a workshop about Content Strategy, Content Engineering, and Sharing Content across Silos.
People from all over the Houston/Austin area are attending, including many students at various colleges and universities in the Houston/Austin area. We’ve started reaching out to all educational institutions that have classes or programs in TCOM and found that there are many colleges and universities in the Houston and Austin area that have never heard of STC. We’re in a position to change that – after all, the future of STC does depend on new people and new ideas. We’re thinking about more events for students, including more mini conferences in the year. If you’re interested in attending (or even better, helping with) mini conferences, let us know.
In March Alan Porter will spearhead a program meeting in Austin. More details as they get firmed up, but it will be a weekend meeting so that folks from Houston and the greater Austin area can attend.
And coming up soon are the Chapter Elections! If you have an interest in running for a position on the STC Houston Chapter Admin Council, please feel free to talk to Cindy Pao and Erika Frensley. Serving on the Admin Council allows you to learn new skills while planning and organizing programs and Chapter activities.